Skip to main content

The Joy of Learning


My nephew was studying Chemistry the other day. He is in school, facing mountainloads of homework and an unending string of FAs and SAs.

I was just observing him study, and his forehead was furrowed with concentration. But his eyes did not show interest. He is such an enthusiastic boy in everything he does, but somehow, studying for exams seemed like such a bitter pill to him.

It didn't bother me whether he got good grades or not. It didn't bother me whether he excelled in academics or sports or the arts. What did bother me was whether he knew and felt  the true joy of learning.

One day, we just casually started discussing something in biology and organic chemistry, two subjects which I have always just adored and loved from my heart. I was telling him how much I had enjoyed reading those subjects. For me, they were still a part of my life in so many subtle ways.

He seemed astounded that these subjects could ever remain with us beyond school years, and that they could change the way we looked at the universe and life. He wanted to ask a million questions, know a million details, many of which I was in no way qualified to answer.

For as long as I can remember, I've loved learning, and reading simply for its own sake. I still marvel at the world around me and have endless questions spinning in my mind, whether it is in my chosen field, or about the quirks of humanity, or the secrets of the universe. I grew up with an unquenchable passion for learning.

I have been worried for a while now that the burden of studying and achieving top ranks has just risen exponentially compared to the time I was in school. The issue is not only about the volume of syllabus, but also that the focus of schooling has shifted from learning to achieving. The focus is now on the destination, rather than on the journey or the experiences of the traveller. Contrarily, what innate curiosity growing children have is also stifled through the current systems of education.

These shortcomings have not gone unnoticed by the expert educators, and indeed, innovative methods are being tried to once again restructure our education system. But we are still a long way from where we want to be.

That evening I sensed a subtle change in my nephew. Honestly, I don't know if someday he'll love learning as I do. But it is what I particularly wish and hope for. I now try to spend time with him, simply to make learning fun, rather than the heavy burden he makes it out to be.

Loud Speaker

Comments

  1. This is what I have admired in you my dearest Loudspeaker. You made me love organic chemistry, remember the love story in your class that inspired me to do it? So again, I wish you were here to motivate me to endless learning .. Ofcourse with my kiddo, I do not aim at what achievement in terms of grades he makes before the world, but what he really enjoy from studying what he likes to. I love him because he does things the way I dream of, and ofcourse, grades in school are not that awesome! But am happy, and I hope he is happy the way he is learning things about everything. Keep writing my dear loudspaker, be loud the way you are, i love to listen to you even if you whisper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we dont have a lot of common things but the love to read (science)is definitely one thing which we both share ......but was it a mere coincidene , i dont know......exactly 2 weeks ago a question was asked with a clinical scenario which no one in our group were able to find but the word WINTERGREEN in the question flashed in my mind and the pages of my 12th standard chemistry book came fresh into my mind as though i have read it just a few hours before and got the answer ...........learning is really fun.......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To be or not to be

Elders always say, "Be like him or be like her" and what not. But sometimes, they also do say the exact opposite. When asked to elaborate on this, they say "just trying to help you" and walk away. Now my question is: Do you follow the advice? Do you take the plunge? What they say is about their own experiences. They lived in a world free of competition, and studied in libraries and with enormous dictionaries.  Now-a-days, there is a lot of competition in the form of exams, quizzes, and other milestones. It is like a staircase, which seems never-ending. The steps to even reach the landing or get a glimpse of the summit is far-fetched, especially when it comes to studies. Those who make these statements are blissfully unaware of today's problems. So, do we listen to them? Or do we walk away? To be? Or not to be??? Czar of Confusion

Gifts: Pricey vs. priceless

Why do we hesitate to say 'no' to a gift? Our face lights up and we are overjoyed when someone actually hands over a gift, especially when it is least expected. Gifts have become a fashion icon these days. Not only the gift that is given, but the one that's taken back. Even children, when they are the invitees of a birthday party, are eager to get something in "return" and that's how the modern concept of return gift was born. Children seem to be enchanted by return gifts even when they get a simple pencil box or a party cap. But how far this culture is taking us and the next generation, is a pertinent question. Today being Teachers' Day, my thoughts roll back to this insignificant but impacting gesture of children in a school I worked. The day started with hoots and cheerful din which I thought were rather unnecessary, at least not from school children who are barely 15. I can understand if those in the late teens had behaved so. The children who

Master your mind to become a mastermind

How is my friend so tension free? How is my next door neighbour with three young children able to manage everything with grace and poise day after day? Why doesn't my spouse react when there is an argument? Why do I get so stressed at the end of the day? Why do I feel fatigued often? If some of these questions have been flooding your mind of late, you simply have one common answer. Accept the bitter fact: Your mind is not in your control. Irksome behaviour, frowning eyebrows, splitting headache, and some other common problems arise when you are NOT the master of your mind. So, what should I do if I have to stay cool, be organised, self-disciplined and develop good personality traits? Become the master of your mind. Keeping the mind under control makes you self-disciplined. That will automatically teach you the limits. You have the leash in your hand; your mind is in total control and you will soon realise that you can overcome temptations. Once your mind is in control