Skip to main content

Traffic Hazard


Every time I travel for longer than half an hour, one of two things is bound to happen - I get lost in thought, or doze off.

Whether it is in a bus or train or car or whatever, I simply can't seem to control myself from drifting off. I've even tried listening to music, but all it does is distract my mind from the road to the lyrics.

As soon as I had reached the eligible age, I learnt driving and obtained my driver's license both for 2- as well as 4-wheeler. That was a mere formality.

Even as I tried to learn driving, every neuron in my body screamed out loud that I'm not cut out to drive. It is not just that I may be mentally absent while driving. I have no sense of direction, and frequently muddle up my lefts and my rights and my straights. Reverse is entirely another matter.

How is it even possible to remember all the roads? And all the one-ways and no entries? And the endless flyovers and bypasses? I often require a map to my own house, and that I may end up reading upside down.

Add to the mix a set of people who make it a habit to break traffic rules. Pure mayhem for me.

So when people ask me why I don't drive a vehicle when it is so convenient in endless ways, I just have one answer. I'm doing a favour to society, and reducing what would be my share of road traffic accidents.

Loud Speaker

Comments

  1. Mmmmmmmmmmuaaah my sweetest loud speaker, you are unlike the anti-social me! But well, a doctor who doesn't lose track of her patient can very well drive a car, its as simple as cooking a meal. I love driving, that's when i relax my mind, endless thoughts come to my mind too, but that's the only time when I seek pleasure in my thoughts. So, take a long drive alone, and just give yourself to it. You will discover more of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is great to drive and getting lost in thoughts.......whatever the problem may be ,it wont be changed but after a long ride in beach road the mind will be very much relaxed.......afterall a problem has to come to an end in only two ways 1)....it has a solution - so no need to worry 2)....it has no solution - then why the hell to worry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To be or not to be

Elders always say, "Be like him or be like her" and what not. But sometimes, they also do say the exact opposite. When asked to elaborate on this, they say "just trying to help you" and walk away. Now my question is: Do you follow the advice? Do you take the plunge? What they say is about their own experiences. They lived in a world free of competition, and studied in libraries and with enormous dictionaries.  Now-a-days, there is a lot of competition in the form of exams, quizzes, and other milestones. It is like a staircase, which seems never-ending. The steps to even reach the landing or get a glimpse of the summit is far-fetched, especially when it comes to studies. Those who make these statements are blissfully unaware of today's problems. So, do we listen to them? Or do we walk away? To be? Or not to be??? Czar of Confusion

Gifts: Pricey vs. priceless

Why do we hesitate to say 'no' to a gift? Our face lights up and we are overjoyed when someone actually hands over a gift, especially when it is least expected. Gifts have become a fashion icon these days. Not only the gift that is given, but the one that's taken back. Even children, when they are the invitees of a birthday party, are eager to get something in "return" and that's how the modern concept of return gift was born. Children seem to be enchanted by return gifts even when they get a simple pencil box or a party cap. But how far this culture is taking us and the next generation, is a pertinent question. Today being Teachers' Day, my thoughts roll back to this insignificant but impacting gesture of children in a school I worked. The day started with hoots and cheerful din which I thought were rather unnecessary, at least not from school children who are barely 15. I can understand if those in the late teens had behaved so. The children who

Master your mind to become a mastermind

How is my friend so tension free? How is my next door neighbour with three young children able to manage everything with grace and poise day after day? Why doesn't my spouse react when there is an argument? Why do I get so stressed at the end of the day? Why do I feel fatigued often? If some of these questions have been flooding your mind of late, you simply have one common answer. Accept the bitter fact: Your mind is not in your control. Irksome behaviour, frowning eyebrows, splitting headache, and some other common problems arise when you are NOT the master of your mind. So, what should I do if I have to stay cool, be organised, self-disciplined and develop good personality traits? Become the master of your mind. Keeping the mind under control makes you self-disciplined. That will automatically teach you the limits. You have the leash in your hand; your mind is in total control and you will soon realise that you can overcome temptations. Once your mind is in control